Friday 15 February 2013

she's not my elvis......


...... I heard that Julie Birchill was on desert island discs today....... and my immediate thought, in less than a heartbeat was......don't like her, so won't bother listening.....although to be fair, the divine Kirsty Young has become such a sycophant on that program, I'm sorta going off it, regardless of the guest.....

But this morning, by the quirk of divesting myself of some blood at the doctors,....... small prick the nurse said.....don't get personal I said....nooooo you'll feel a small prick of the needle when I take the blood the nurse said.....ooooooh I said......

....anyway after the doctors,  I found myself in the car on my way to work......... listening to Julie Birchill on desert island discs.... now, I don't think she will ever be my elvis...but listening to her....she makes you think about your own perception, of your own reality.....

It is well worth a listen - www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qhd0p

Love her or loathe her.... I did like the quote I read about her.....


Asked by Will Self in a 1999 interview if she was solipsistic,
 she responded with the comment: 
"I don't know – I didn't go to university" [quotation source]

So listening to her this morning was enlightening and somehow I reckon, never again will I gue.... oh I don't like her...... of course I should also add, that does not mean either, that I will gue.....oooooh I like her.

However, her music choice was sh1te.....so I shall turn to another desert island discer for my choice of SoD.....it was May 2009 and went something like this..... Whoopie Goldberg......for my next song, I heard this and I have no idea what this guy was/is singing but boy did it make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck..... and then we all heard it with her, neck hairs at the ready .....


so Nusrat if you're up there and reading this....thank you for this one, 
and the many others I love.... you might not be my elvis, 
but you sure were Jeff Buckley's, and as he is my elvis, 
then that damn near makes you my elvis......